Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Reflections After a Night in the ER

The following is a tenderly worded poem that I have written for my wife following her recent trip to the emergency room.  Luckily, the event had a happy ending, but I find it is always important to reflect on these frightening experiences and so learn about our deep connections.

My Dear Wife,

Last night you work me up 
From a deep sleep that I had been looking forward to all day.
But I didn't mind.  
I figured that you were looking for a little fun.
It turned out that you were crying and in pain
Because a sharp two millimeter solid concretion 
Was lodged in your urinary tract.

As we spent the next few hours in the hospital
I began to think about how little time we truly spend together.
And how I usually forget to do the simple tasks you ask me to do
Because I don't take them seriously.

By the way,
I'll hang up that hook for your robe
in the bathroom this weekend,
I promise.

The pain made you nauseous and you threw up.
I had to leave because I am a sympathetic vomiter,
And I would have made twice the mess otherwise.

And then they drew blood, 
Which made me queasy.
And when you were moaning in pain,
That kind of creeped me out,
So I said, "Let's watch the Conan O'brien show."

When the doctor came back to tell you
That you were going to be fine,
And we could go home,
I was relieved.

This is the first trip we ever made to the hospital
That did not result directly in another kid.

I want you to know
That I will try my best not to take you for granted,
Like I have in the past.

And I'll try my hardest not to seduce you
With my irresistible charm,
Because you seem pretty tired
And could use a rest.

No comments: