Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Why Cats Matter


Yesterday I made an offhanded remark that raised the hackles of a friend and co-worker.  In a discussion about the nature and value of domestic felines, I insensitively said, "Cats don't give a damn about humans."

While I still hold to the general principle of this statement, I now realize that there is something to be said for tact and decorum.  This blog serves as an apology to my friend, who to preserve his anonymity shall be called Geoff Myers in this blog. (That's Geoff not Jeff, Myers not Meyers)

The reason my comments rubbed Geoff the wrong way, so to speak, is that Geoff tells a remarkable story of a profound bond between himself and one of his pet cats.  My remarks not only trivialized this relationship, but also eroded the foundation for explaining the details of his story.

Geoff recalls a night a few years back when he was awakened when his pet cat bit him painfully on the arm.  Now, I know what you're thinking: What a stupid story.  And I agree, but there are more details to consider.  Geoff did what any cat owner would do when his pet wakes him up in the middle of the night by biting him.  Geoff tossed the cat to the floor and went back to sleep.

That's when the cat did something unexpected--he bit Geoff again and woke him up.  Again, I know what you're thinking: This story just got a little stupider.  And again, you're right.  But consider the following: this time Geoff noticed something unusual about his kitchen.  

It was on fire.

Geoff grabbed his pet and escaped with his, and his cat's nine lives.  So you can see why my remarks were enough to cause Geoff to bristle like a... well... like a cat on Halloween.   This is an obvious story of a common house pet showing uncommon concern for its owner.

As penance for my sins, I hereby dedicate this week to Geoff's and other cats.  Each day this week, I will publish a post that demonstrates the following: 1) The unique and interesting history of the domestication of the cat, 2) How the natural history of the cat makes it an unlikely companion for humans, and 3) How, with the help of a few simple virtues and a lot of charm, cats were able to overcome their disagreeable natures and become the most popular pet in America

The point of these little essays will be to demonstrate, that far from denigrating Geoff's relationship with his cat, my comments only serve to highlight the remarkable nature of Geoff's fury feline friend.  It's not in a cat's nature to be brave, compassionate, social or altruistic.  But from a certain perspective, Geoff's cat was able to rise to occasion despite all this.  It is a story of a good friend overcoming his own catty nature to save a person's life.

As such, it is a lesson for us all and a beacon of no small hope.

No comments: