Monday, August 25, 2008

Why I Sometimes Act Like an Animal--Redux

Annoyingly smart readers who call you on obvious rhetorical strategies that mislead the public are the worst kind of people to sit next to at work.  And for that, I'm not even going to protect your identity, Randal.  Yes, you were technically right when you told me that bacteria are not animals as my post claims.

And when I argued that what I meant by "animals" was non-human life, you are right to point out that I know perfectly good words to use to describe them when they are both not human and not animals.

And what did Randal say when I asked can not an example of bacterial altruism also imply that a greater degree of nobility might be seen in more complex living things?  Quoth the Randal, "Nevermore!"

And so, here I am once again faced with retribution for my numerous and severe transgressions.  A penance again!  And this week, the subject shall be altruism in Animals (multicellular eukaryotic heterotrophs to be specific).  

No comments: